Hi ya! Glad you found the secret cookie recipe. Ok, so I realize it's not so secret when it's blasted all over the internet, but still, these chocolate chip cookies are pretty amazing.
I am a big fan of anything chocolate, with chocolate chip cookies probably taking the cake...or cookie. When I was writing my first book, it just happened that the main character was an unhappy lawyer turned happy baker, who's secret power was her ability to bake the most amazing chocolate chip cookies.
Since the book is a small town contemporary romance and part of a series, a theme was born. The cookies became "famous" and are known as the "better than you know what" cookies.
I'll leave the meaning of the better than to your imagination, but so many readers wanted to know more about the cookies, I decided it was time to share recipe.
By the way they also make an amazing 'pan cookie' variation, also known as blondies...
So here it is – the better than you know what chocolate chip cookie recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose our
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped or bittersweet chocolate chips (try Ghirardelli)
- Flaky sea salt or Maldon
Check out some of our other great articles:
How to Make Them
Want a printable pdf - Better Than You Know What Cookies
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 450°.
- Step 2 Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 3 Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed, occasionally scraping down sides of the bowl, until light and fluffy,2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until pale, 4-5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until just blended. Fold in chocolate chunks using a rubber spatula.
- Step 4 – Scoop dough into even portions (2 tablespoons each) and arrange 2 inches apart on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets (maximum of 6 cookies per sheet). Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and refrigerate sheets until
dough is cool to touch, 10 minutes.
- Step 5 Bake at 450°, rotating baking sheets halfway through cooking, until just golden brown around the edges, 6-7 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat process with remaining
More Great Reads: