Hi! My name is Drea Stein and I'm the best-selling author of over 7 books - fiction and non-fiction - and the the blogger behind La Belle Vie Journal. I've written hundreds of articles, thousands of emails and managed a multi-million dollar ecommerce site.
On the personal side, I've been married to my high school sweetheart for over 20 years, and I'm the mom to three amazing, crazy busy kids. I'm also an active volunteer, social butterfly and the family member always hosting something.
I don't say all this to brag, but to say, that just like you, I have a lot on my plate. And I'm not a spring chicken - I'm getting older every day. I enjoy the heck out of life and generally walk around with a smile on face (unless someone leaves a wet towel on the floor).
I get asked all the time - how do you do it all? How do I write books, write a blog, volunteer, cook for the family, shuttle kids around, go on date night, etc, etc and not look like a crazy person? And smile?
Honestly the question flatters me, because sometimes when it seems like I'm doing it all, not all of it is getting done in perfect, Pinterest-worthy style (my kids can definitely attest to that whenever we try to craft).
But for the most part, I get what really needs to be done, done. I am able to focus, be productive, ignore the distractions and make things happen. But ere's the secret - I focus on the the things that matter to me.
Like writing my books or building this blog. Making sure the kids do their homework and get to where they need to be. Or making sure the bills are getting paid on time. Or binge watching my favorite show. Or cooking a big family dinner on Sunday.
I think the real question - and answer - people wants to know is how to get it done and seem entirely stressed and crazy.
- Have I stopped sleeping? Nope, I get plenty of that.
Do I not watch Netflix? Nope - hello Season Three of Stranger Things.
- Do I work 20 hours a day? Nope - I read, I exercise, I cook, I clean, and hang out with my kids, I stop over at a friend's for a chat and cup of coffee.
Nope - I get what needs to be done and still have a life.
BUT, it wasn't always this way. I wasn't always this way. I was stressed, crazy busy, short tempered and all over the place. It was affecting my work, my family, my health. I found myself unmotivated. I even stopped writing for awhile.
I tried so many different things to get my life back "under-control"
- Ruthlessly scheduling my time down to the minute, which just made me more stressed
- Meal Prep one day a week to have little tupperware containers ready to rest of the week. Chopping sucks and taking the fun out of cooking and just wasn't for me.
- Getting up super early before my kids to cram in a workout, an hour or two of work, plus unloading the dishwasher and folding laundry. Guess what, I am not a morning person and it showed. I was mean and tired and ready for bed at 4 PM, right in the middle of homework time .
Nothing really worked. And I wasn't happy. I wasn't moving forward. I felt stuck, spinning my wheels.
Until... I found my way back. Using a simple tool I knew existed, but hadn't been using. At least not the right way.
But when I did start using it, I uncovered more purpose and focus in my life than I knew was possible. It helped me find:
- Focus - I was able to know what where I wanted to be and how to get there. Distractions slipped away
- Meaning - I was able to figure out what drove me, and what made life worthwhile for ME (it might be entirely different for you - and that's ok!)
- Passion - I found excitement again in my work and daily life
- Clarity - I knew what I wanted to accomplish - finish another book, help my daughter learn how to sew, get more exercise. Some were big items, some were small, but I was able to define and tackle them
- Gratitude - I was able to find things to be thankful for - big and small every day - and knowing what I did already have made me super happy
- Choice - By using this tool, I was able to see choices laid out in front of me
- Belonging - This program helped me define my goals and purpose and helped me to know where I belonged - and find a like-minded community of individuals. I felt more at home.
- Impact - This helped me determine where I wanted to leave an impact - and what to focus my time on
- Confidence - I knew where I wanted to go, how to get there and also it helped me control my reactions to the inevitable bumps along the way - I had the confidence to keep boldly going forward!
Using this method helped me find my purpose, define my path, set my goals - and kept me accountable!
And before I knew it, I was motivated, productive and HAPPY. Yup, I got a lot of stuff done and wasn't stressed about it. I made better choices over how to spend my time. My family was happier because I was happier. We got along better.
- My relationships improved.
- My time management improved.
- My work improved.
- My books were written faster and better
- My health improved
- My finances improved
I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do and HOW TO MAKE It Happen!